Friday, April 1, 2011

Potstickers

Haven't posted in awhile. We painted my kitchen and living room (thanks Mom!) so I didn't cook much. Luckily, I do have a few items in draft so I'll get them done soon.

I love me some potstickers. You can get them in the non-potsticking form from most any Chinese restaurant when you order steamed dumplings. Better establishments have actual potstickers. The difference is the bottom 'sticks' creating a delicious sear.

Here is an awesome recipe which includes handmade dough.

I have attempted a few varieties, but this recipe is excellent as is.

I did try using wonton skins from the grocery store, which is much easier then making dough. But they really are wontons, not dumplings. Same principles apply; it is a affable replacement.

If you want to reduce the fat (or you don't eat pork for some reason) you can use ground turkey. But it will be dryer so add a little oil. Not exactly the same, but it works. I wouldn't use white meat ground turkey, its dryer then the dark and more expensive.

Some key items to remember:
Making these is time consuming particularly rolling out the dough (buying wonton skins saves you here) but also filling and sealing them. For best results, get multiple helpers to roll/fill.

These freeze really well, so make extra. Put them on a non stick sheet pan or a rack in the freezer for an hour or so, then store in a freezer bag.

Use non-stick pans! I've done it with steel, it is doable, but its tricky and final product is virtually identical.

When cooking frozen, I put oil, dumpings and water in the pan, cover (lid ajar or it will boil over), and steam on medium heat for 10-12 minutes. Time starts once it hits a boil.

When cooking fresh, it takes almost as long, remember the meat is raw. But I like to heat the oil, then add the dumpings for 2-3 minutes, then add the water.

Water should be just about half way up the dumplings.

Watch the water! If you run out you can add more, but they will burn if you don't.

Ponzu makes an easy sauce.

Or simmer orange juice with some soy sauce, 4/1 OJ to soy (to taste). Mix it up by adding some hot sauce, shallots or whatever you can think of. But honestly, the dumplings don't need it.

Don't eat to many at one time! All that dough will fill you up fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment